We’ve talked a lot for the past weeks about preparations for launch day. Finally! It’s time to get your bottom wet and you’re minutes away from a summer of boating fun! Just a couple of last minute items to go …
- Check your stuffing box(es) and all through-hull fittings for leaks as soon as you go in the water
- Run you bilge blower for at least 5 minutes before you start your engine(s).
- Start the engine(s) and run them up, checking again for leaks in raw water strainers and hoses. Make sure that water is pumping through the exhaust. If not, shut down and make sure that sea cocks are in the open position and that through hulls and intakes are free of obstructions and debris.
- Make sure that engine cooling water is pumping before heading out.
- Run the engine for a little while, looking around again for adequate water flow and listening for anything that doesn’t sound right. Check fluid levels again after everything’s warmed up – and you’re ready to go!