It should come as no surprise that many of our area’s most popular harbors are chock-a-block full most weekends during the height of the boating season. Transient slips seem never to be available unless you arrive at inconvenient times, and moorings fill up on a first-come, first-served basis.
It may be worth sitting down with your crew and a calendar and booking dockage now at destinations you know you want to visit this summer. Many harbormasters maintain web sites that allow you to book on line. Here are a few that you should at least save to your address book:
- Edgartown Harbor. Slip reservations are now open at https://dockwa.com/explore/destination/edgartown-harbor, by phone at (508) 627-4746, or by hailing on VHF channnel 74. Mooring reservations open at 8:00AM on Thursday 3/1/18, and will sell out quickly for most weekends. Note that there are no more first-come, first-serve pick-up moorings and day-trips pay the same $40 rate as overnight vessels. All vessels arriving without a reservation are to hail on VHF Ch. 74 for availability.
- Cuttyhunk Marina (http://www.cuttyhunkmarina.net) offers about 50 transient slips and 50 town rental moorings. Boats may be rafted at the moorings (up to 3 boats each mooring), and you’ll need to bring a dinghy because there is no regular launch service. While they have no posted reservations policy, give them a shout and see what you can work out in advance. [email protected]. (508) 990-7578.
- Oak Bluffs Marina is the largest marina on Martha’s Vineyard – and one of the most popular spots in our region for overnight visits. Reservations are now open, and on line reservations are accepted and recommended for slips and moorings at https://oakbluffsmarina.com. The marina offers 81 slips and 50 moorings. On weekends, expect to be rafted on a mooring. Launch service is available by calling “Oak Bluffs Launch” on VHF channel 77.
- Red Brook Harbor is situated just off the West end of the Cape Cod Canal, and is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful natural harbors on Cape Cod. Advance slip and mooring reservations are available at Kingman Yacht Center’s web site at https://www.kingmanyachtcenter.com/reservations. Reservations are now open.
- Woods Hole is frequently overlooked by boaters who just want to make the passage on there way to someplace else. But this charming village offers great dining, shopping, museums and history galore. Transient slips and moorings are available through Woods Hole Marine and, while they have a web site, phone will work best at 508-540-2402.
- Nantucket Boat Basin offers transient slips in the heart of this bustling, scenic village. Advance online reservations are highly recommended, and can be made by completing and submitting a reservation request form at http://www.nantucketboatbasin.com/reservations.aspx#gref.
Spend a few minutes now to book your spot. If nothing else, it will take your mind off this long winter.