Sad to say, the parade of boats coming ashore for the winter has begun here on Cape Cod. Hundreds will store here in care of the marina, but if you’re winterizing your own boat these projects should be performed this fall to protect your boat from moisture, freezing or corrosion damage:
– Drain all fresh water tanks, including heaters; winterize with non-toxic antifreeze. Winterize all other plumbing including fresh and salt water pumps and drains, air conditioning, refrigeration, all water-using appliances, washdown pumps, toilets, holding tanks, etc.
– Change engine oil and filter, lube and gear oil. Run and fog engine. Drain water from engine. Winterize cooling systems with non-toxic antifreeze. Check belts and hoses; steering and trim. Lubricate shift and throttle cables.
– If the boat is stored on land, remove batteries, bring to full charge, store in dry place, trickle-charge, check battery water levels.
– Top off fuel tanks to minimize fuel contamination with water from condensation. Add stabilizer to prevent gum up in gasoline systems, and to prevent algae in diesel engines.
– We recommend that owners remove, inventory, and properly store electronics that are not cabinet installed. Exposed electrical terminals and junction blocks should be sprayed with protective film.
– Inspect and properly store sails, canvas bimini tops, dodgers, or vinyl curtains and cushions. Make sure that everything is dry to prevent mold and mildew. This is also a good time to send repair work out so that missing snaps, torn seams, etc. are fixed come spring launch.
– Install air treatment on board to help prevent the formation of mold and mildew while your boat is closed up for the winter. We use and recommend Kanberra, a blend of tea tree oil and other natural ingredients. Kanberra works at the micro-biotic level, neutralizing and eliminating problems and associated odors on contact.
– If you’re storing at your house or somewhere else off site, please know that Kingman Yacht Center provides boat hauling/moving and decommissioning services at competitive prices. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.